Your Rights to Renting Property - Compensation to Tenant for Leaving - Part 2

As a tenant, if a landlord gives a tenant the N12 form for vacating the property, in most cases they are required to give you 60 Days Notice, for the right reasons, the landlord must also compensate the tenant:

  1. Pay you an amount equal to one month's rent by the termination date in this notice, or
  2. Offer you another rental unit that is acceptable to you.

This is a new act that came in place on May 18, 2017, the Rental Fairness Act, 2017, the new act tightened the provisions under which a landlord can evict a tenant because the landlord, their family member, or a caregiver wants the unit for their own use. There have been many cases where the tenant willingly leaves the property to accommodate the landlord but they are not aware of their rights.

It is very important before you get a rental property you work with a qualified real estate agent that can help you secure a contract that protects your rights. When you use a real estate agent to find a property to rent or buy you do not pay them, the seller and the landlord pays them.

If you want a free consultation please feel free to contact me directly at Sara Rahimian 416 624 8709

Author: Sara Rahimian, B.A, M.A, Realtor®


Iranian Online Community in Toronto
Iranian Community Centre in Toronto
Iranian Welcome Centre in Toronto

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment